Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Paintings + Jewelry

For a long time I have been playing around with the idea of combining my paintings with my jewelry designs...its always in the back of my mind somewhere. Recently, my friend Bryan has been urging me to make jewelry that he can wear...guys often ask me, but Bryan is a bit more fashion forward and styley so I have been actually really trying hard to think of something he would wear.

So I was sitting at me jewelry desk making some more I'm A Flirt Earrings and I started to brainstorm. I have been playing around with fabric and ribbons and working them into designs recently and being a long fan of fabric, vinyl and leather snap close cuffs I started thinking that they would work for guys. I was seized by a fit of design urgency, grabbed a painting off the wall, removed it from the stretchers and started cutting...as last summer I started embroidering on my canvases it did not freak me out so much to do this...which I was amazed at.

Anyway...I started at the top, which is pink and added a few snaps and voila!


This particular painting is actually tissue paper, gesso and water color on canvas so they can't get wet, which is kind of bad...but I have my eye on an oil to rip into next...now I just have to make Bryan be my test subject to see how tehy wear and tear...

Any thoughts? I love some feedback...

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can feel the burst of inspiration that's surging through you, so awesome! I say do it if it feels spontaneously good. Many possibilities here. You can use your finished paintings; you can also paint specific paintings with your jewelry in mind, altering the material you use as the backdrop. Canvas, vinyl, suede, any material that has the structure you want. It's exciting that you've had the idea brewing and now it's coming to life. Yay! Have fun!

July 2, 2008 at 5:59 PM  
Blogger Manic Trout said...

Thanks Anna Sofia! I have started on the oils now...I think this may be the start of something pretty cool!

July 2, 2008 at 9:41 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

That looks pretty cool. I like the texture. Is it comfortable? I was wondering if you lined the back with something soft? Probably not necessary, but it ran through my mind. My two cents: maybe an edge embellishment, even if it's just the edge of the material maybe in a contrast/or some type of thin binding stitched, or hole punch across top or bottom,etc., some type of jewelry cording stretched across in a harlequin/diamond pattern?? Lots of cool things you could do with these in different variations. Subliminal marketing, paint trouts subtly underneath... =) I'm sure you could make these pair up nicely with your rings by embellishing them, but you've probably already thought of ways to do that. I could go on, but I've probably said enough. feel free to email me. I can ramble with the best of them. =)

July 4, 2008 at 10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home